Monday, June 19, 2006

Watch What You Eat!


Since I started my journey into the public health field I have become aware of the impact of our daily actions and often find myself trying to empower those closest to me.
At Health Plus, my current employment, I educate members about the benefits of the plans and empower them to seek the benefits they need and are entitled to.
My interest in diabetes disease management was sparked during a training I attended in my department and then last semester during a course focused on healthcare delivery.
As a member of the Latino community I am concerned for the risk of diabetes not only for myself, but also for those close to me, especially my father. My grandmother had diabetes and she passed away very suddenly. I recently suggested that my father go for a full physical, a recommendation I give Health Plus members everyday. He had high cholesterol and hypertension. With the use of medication, combined with diet and exercise, both levels were reduced. He is currently not on any medication, but as I continue my research I cannot help to wonder what the future has for him and for myself.

2 Comments:

At June 21, 2006 2:51 PM, Blogger CRG said...

Thanks for the feedback! It is amazing at times how this tend to fall into place and how one experience can lead to or have direct affects on another.

 
At June 22, 2006 2:51 PM, Blogger CRG said...

Well, I am not a doctor, but I would definitely suggest working with a nutritionist if he cannot do much physical activity. But can he walk? Walking is exercise and 15-20 a day several times a week is a start especially if he is not currently exercising. He should also look into disease management programs or even support groups!

 

Post a Comment

<< Home